As Reposted from: cpusa.org:
Greetings on the occasion of the 59th anniversary of the attack on the Moncada Barracks
Long live July 26!Today is the 59th anniversary of the attack on the Moncada Barracks in Santiago, Cuba, and thus is a fitting occasion to remind ourselves of what we all owe to the Cuban Revolution.
On July 26, 1953, 140 Cuban patriots stormed the heavens by launching an armed attack on the Moncada Barracks in Santiago, Cuba, in an effort to spark a national uprising to overthrow the odious U.S. supported military dictator, Fulgencio Batista. The attack failed, and many of the patriots became martyrs to their cause, either dying in the fighting or being murdered by Batista's agents in the aftermath. Only because of a national and international pressure campaign were comrades Fidel Castro and Raul Castro amnestied.
The Cuban revolutionaries did not give up, but continued to prepare, within Cuba and from exile, the campaign that eventually ousted Batista on January 1, 1959.
Quickly, Cuban reactionaries and their imperialist allies rallied to try to reverse the verdict expressed by the Cuban people on that date. They tried everything, and continue to do so: Invasions, sabotage, terrorism and assassination, economic strangulation and a vast propaganda campaign designed to dislodge the Cuban Revolution and subject the people of Cuba once again to class oppression and imperialist subjugation.
However Cuba has prevailed, even when the collapse of socialism in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe struck it such a dangerous blow.
In Cuba, the Revolution has created a better life for working people and the masses. Internationally, the gift of the Cuban Revolution has included.
- The end of the odious apartheid regime in South Africa.
- The renovation of the revolutionary movements in Latin America and beyond.
- The renovation of the communist and workers' parties worldwide, who have learned, by
Cuba's example, that a commitment to socialism does not entail adherence to ossified
dogmas and bureaucratic, top down methods.
- The development of the critique of late imperialism and of neo-liberal economic
policies, as well as the strategy for combating them through popular mobilization.
- The increasing unity of Latin America and ultimately of all the poor countries of Asia,
Africa and Latin America behind a broad program of progressive change.
- The disinterested provision of high quality health care, education and other services to
poor countries around the world.
So the struggle goes on, for Cuba and for Cuba's friends around the world, including here in the United States.
The Communist Party of the USA hereby:
- Salutes the Cuban Communist Party and the Cuban people on the occasion of the 59th
Anniversary of the Attack on the Moncada Barracks.
- Sends our special greeting to comrades Fidel Castro Ruz and comrade president Raul
Castro Ruz, thanking them for their long service to the international working class and
humanity, and wishing them many more years of good health and happiness.
- Recalls to memory the glorious members of the first generation of the Cuban Revolution
who are no longer with us physically but whose names will live for ever, including
especially comrade Ernesto "Che" Guevara and so many others.
- Pledges ourselves to keep struggling to end the blocade and travel restrictions, to put a
stop to all harassment and destabilization activities directed against Cuba, and to free the
¡Viva el 26 de Julio!
¡Viva el Partido Comunista de Cuba!
¡Viva la Revolución Cubana!
¡Viva el pueblo cubano, heroico y valiente!
¡Patria o muerte! ¡Cuba vencerá!